Friday, February 13, 2015

Break Every Chain


Zechariah 1:2-4 - The Lord Almighty was very angry with your fathers. But he will turn again and favor you if only you return to him. Don’t be like your fathers were! The earlier prophets pled in vain with them to turn from all their evil ways. “Come, return to me,” the Lord God said. But no, they wouldn’t listen; they paid no attention at all.
 
Zechariah was called to help encourage the remnant of returning Jews to break the cycle of disobedience and sin their fathers had established with God.  These few people….who had somehow managed to stay faithful…had to rebuild the Temple and strengthen the faith that had grown so weak while in captivity.
 
It is very hard for me to imagine growing up with a father who was lacking faith.  I was so privileged to be raised by a Godly family.  He taught me to love God…to tithe…to pray…to study….and to share that love with others whenever I got the chance. But these people….and many in the world around me are not so honored.   
 
Zechariah reminds me that God can break the cycle of sin in any family history. No matter what you are involved in…no matter what you were taught as a child….no matter how evil you have become…God can break the chains and deliver you from sin.  Allowing that chain to remain in place only weakens the faith you have…or are developing.
 
The first step in breaking that chain is believing in the forgiving power of God.  Once you believe…he can come into your life and wash that sin right out of your life. He can help you transform your old self into a new creature...free of any chain you had when you accepted Him into your life.
 
I love that song written by William Reagan and sung by Tasha Cobbs and Jesus Culture.  She begins it by reminding us that there I power in the name of Jesus. It can break every chain that has kept us from realizing in the fullness of His plan for our life. Believe…repent…and accept His power into your life to complete whatever he has called you to do.
 
Father…thank you for reminding me that any chain I have allowed to bind me from your power and transforming forgiveness can be dissolved from my life with a simple request to you.  Forgive me for living with any of those chains…and not recognizing how they are holding me back.  Help me to wake each day asking you to bind the chains that are trying to wrap around the faith that you have developed in me so far. Help me realize the full power of your love in my life.  Amen.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment