Monday, February 16, 2015

NOT By Might...NOT By Power...But BY GOD'S SPIRIT


Zechariah 4:6 -7 -   Then he said, “This is God’s message to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty—you will succeed because of my Spirit, though you are few and weak.’  Therefore no mountain, however high, can stand before Zerubbabel! For it will flatten out before him! And Zerubbabel will finish building this Temple with mighty shouts of thanksgiving for God’s mercy, declaring that all was done by grace alone.”

 

Zechariah’s vision turned real life as the angel woke him up. He saw a lampstand with seven lamps …but he had no clue what meaning it held…or what message God was giving him for the people.  So God gave it to him in plain language….  “NOT by might…NOT by power…but by GOD’s SPIRIT.” 

 

It is a reminder of the great power we have when we believe in Christ.  We never have to worry if we have enough strength…or power to complete a job he gave us to do.  His spirit takes control of our spirit and the result is a supernatural ability to move mountains with the tiniest amounts of faith. 

 

He gives us one more clue in verse 10…it says…“Do not despise this small beginning, for the eyes of the Lord rejoice to see the work begin, to see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel. For these seven lamps represent the eyes of the Lord that see everywhere around the world.”  God doesn’t always start out our tasks with giant steps that move quickly.  He prefers to watch the process of change in our heart in small increments.  I love the way the notes in my LAB said it… “God rejoices in what is his….not what is big.”

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you gave me your spirit when you took up residence in my heart. Forgive me for always trying to do things without it…and trying to use my own might and power. Help me to always remember that my greatest accomplishments are done completely in your spirit.  Help me remember that even though what I am given to do may seem small and insignificant to me….it is a small beginning that you ordained. Help me trust in you and give you praise for the small beginnings…so that you can use them to change this stubborn …selfish heart to a more humble one that relies more on you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment