Saturday, February 28, 2015

Praise God For Who He Is


Malachi 2:4-6 - Then at last you will know it was I who sent you this warning to return to the laws I gave your father Levi,” says the Lord Almighty.  “The purpose of these laws was to give him life and peace, to be a means of showing his respect and awe for me by keeping them.  He passed on to the people all the truth he got from me. He did not lie or cheat; he walked with me, living a good and righteous life, and turned many from their lives of sin.

 

Malachi was talking to the priests of his day…but since God tore the veil in the Holy Of Holies the hour of his son’s death on the cross….we are all subject to his speech. Christ’s resurrection and victory over death gave us all a way to have a personal relationship with the father...I can talk to him any time I need guidance…comfort… or peace. But Malachi makes the point here that God is not just a go to for when we need help….we are to give glory to his name…just because of who he is as well.

 

I admit that most of my time spent directly with  the father involves asking for things… guidance… direction… help for my problems and my friends in need.  Some of my time is spent thanking him for the things he has done…for all the blessings and answers to prayer he has covered for me. But Malachi reminds me of how important it is to just praise God…to lift up his name in pure respect…to honor who he is…to step back and realize where life and complete peace comes from.

 

The Palmist David nailed it so well in Psalms 96…. it was later quoted in 1 Chronicles 16:28-30 … “Ascribe to the LORD, O families of the peoples, Ascribe to the LORD glory and strength. Ascribe to the LORD the glory due His name; Bring an offering, and come before Him; Worship the LORD in holy array. Tremble before Him, all the earth; Indeed, the world is firmly established, it will not be moved.”

 

It creates a euphoric feeling of peace and contentment to lay yourself at an altar in pure worship for no other reason but that you love God. The tears of sweet love that Mary washed Jesus’ feet brought about a contentment and peace that God had forgiven her for every sin she ever committed.  She knelt at his feet in awe that he could love her so much….and poured out n his feet the best that she could bring from her own closet.  She probably did not understand just how significant her act of love was at the time…or what was about to happen as he showed his love for all mankind hours later on the cross.  But her model of pure worship was so on target that God allowed her story to be included in the Bible.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to spend some of my time with you just praising you for who you are.  Forgive me for making my prayers more about what I need...or what my friends and family need…than just standing still in your presence and soaking up who you are. Help me to stop and be still…and know that you are God….so I can love you like Mary did…..and anoint your feet with my best.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment