Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pray For Those That Are Controlled By Evil


Zechariah 5:6-8 - “What is it?” I asked. He replied, “It is a bushel basket filled with the sin prevailing everywhere throughout the land.”  Suddenly the heavy lead cover on the basket was lifted off, and I could see a woman sitting inside the basket!  He said, “She represents wickedness,” and he pushed her back into the basket and clamped down the heavy lid again.

 

How strange Zechariah’s vision must have seemed to him.  He saw flying scrolls with judgment words from God…and a flying basket that contained a woman who represented evil. How comforted he must have been to have the angel standing next to him push that lid back on that basket.

 

Zechariah’s world looked much like the world I see every day….especially if I take the time to read the paper …or watch the news. Terrorism to Christians living in some lands….organizations like ISIS rising up to persecute others…human trafficking in cities here in our own US. The list of evils that are allowed to be for a time on this Earth is mindboggling to me.

 

I truly have no real clue what it is like in some nations….for I can turn the news off…and choose to never pick up a paper. I can hide in my sweet little town in Kentucky…occasionally hearing of a murder…or robbery…or abuse…or drugs. I can’t say that I have ever read about a persecution like ISIS pulled off here in my hometown.

 

Perhaps I should not hide from it so much…for if I know about it…I can spend a few minutes in prayer asking God to comfort….strengthen….protect the ones that must live where evil is the worst. Even if I don’t read about…or watch news casts of the specifics of an evil act…I can take more time in general thanking God that He gives His angels the ability to shut the heavy lid of evil and contain it to some places.

 

One comfort I am reminded of is that God removed the power of sin and evil when he sacrificed himself on that cross. He won the victory over death and evil and offer all of us a way to live with him forever in perfect peace and love with him some day in heaven.  The last part of Revelation tells us that he is even coming back to set up an earthly kingdom where evil has been completely eliminated for a time before he ends this world.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are in complete control of evil and will only allow it for a time. Forgive me for my selfish attitude and lack of prayer for others that love you…who live in aras where evil is not contained. Send down a few extra angels this morning to this that suffer because they claim to know you…and are persecuted for it.  Prepare a special place in Heaven for those that die a martyr’s death. Give me a reminder each day to spend a few minutes in prayer for those I do not know….but suffer every day of their lives because they have accepted you into their hearts.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment