Monday, February 23, 2015

Worship Is More Important Than Rules


Zechariah 11:12-14 -  And I said to their leaders, “If you like, give me my pay, whatever I am worth; but only if you want to.”  So they counted out thirty little silver coins as my wages.  And the Lord told me, “Use it to buy a field from the pottery makers—this magnificent sum they value you at!”  So I took the thirty coins and threw them into the Temple for the pottery makers. Then I broke my other staff, “Union,” to show that the bond of unity between Judah and Israel was broken.

 

Zachariah was told by God to act out two different shepherd’s personalities. First he played the good shepherd….ending his monologue by breaking the staff he was told to call ‘grace.”  Then he acted the part of the evil shepherd and broke the staff God told him to name “unity.” It was symbolic for the way they had broken the covenant they had made with god and how they had tried to separate themselves as a nation.

 

It got worse before Jesus came to make a way for all of us with his grace and sacrifice on the cross.  The leaders began to separate themselves into religious orders.  They closely interpreted the word of God in different ways and developed names like Sadducee…. Pharisee…. Essene… Zealot… for the differences in the theology they adopted for their groups. When Jesus came he denounced this kind of separation…. calling them “broods of vipers” ….more intent on following a set of rules that worshiping the father he came to serve.

 

We still separate ourselves today.  We call ourselves Baptist…or Methodist…Pentecostal… Jehovah Witnesses…. Catholic… Mormon….Church of God…and any other combination of letters that describes the individual theology we think is closest to what the Bible teaches. How can one not wonder… How can so many different groups have it right? 

 

I want to testify this morning that I have worshiped in several of these congregations over the years. Even though I was raised in a Baptist Church….I try to keep my eyes and ears open to new ways of doing things. Each one has given me a little more insight about the true heart of God.  I have come to the conclusion that none of the denominations are perfectly right….but all of them have pieces of the whole that they do best.

 

One of my favorite services each year is a Pastor’s conference my current church sponsors…where all denominations come together to worship and renew their passion to teach and preach the gospel. It is so inspiring to watch those pastors unify together and call down the spirit of God in worship. Some amazing things have happened because they dared to cross the denominational borders….and just worship God as a believer….not a denomination.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that every church that believes in you…and follows the teaching of your word is blessed by you.  Forgive me for the times that I have allowed satan to trick me into thinking that one denomination was right by itself. Thank you for opening my heart and eyes to new ways to worship and teaching me that your people have different ways of expressing their love to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment