Thursday, August 27, 2015

Apply Tough Love To Yourself

2 Corinthians 13:4-5 -  His weak, human body died on the cross, but now he lives by the mighty power of God. We, too, are weak in our bodies, as he was, but now we live and are strong, as he is, and have all of God’s power to use in dealing with you.  Check up on yourselves. Are you really Christians? Do you pass the test? Do you feel Christ’s presence and power more and more within you? Or are you just pretending to be Christians when actually you aren’t at all? 

Paul ended this great book of 2 Corinthians by reminding the church that this would be his 3rd warning to stop sinning and live Godly lives. He believed in tough love….even modeled for them how to apply the concept to examining their own walk with God. Even Jesus walked this earth in a weak human body…but through a completely perfect walk with His father…He was able to use God’s mighty power to take what satan meant for harm and turn death into a victory over all evil.

He told them to check themselves…to examine their hearts for evidence of God’s love inside them. In order to say they were really Christians they should learn from each test God allowed so that they could feel God’s power inside their heart grow more and more inside their hearts.

He left them with a pretty comprehensive check list of outward signs they were really Christians…and not just pretending. He said to live good lives…not just for what we could get out of it. He also said to encourage others at all times…helping to keep evil no way to sneak in at all.  Paul was an advocate of using our weaknesses to teach us maturity….a permanent strength built in faith and trust. He said be happy…grow in Christ…live in harmony and peace…and to greet all people warmly in the Lord.

I will admit as usual that I needed the reminder to keep my relationship with God fresh by evaluating my own ‘realness’ more often. The lack of a routine checkup allows all kinds of cracks in our relationship that might be a way for satan to attack our very foundation. I put off the ‘exam’ sometimes for they are not always painless….exposing one more thing that I need to work on to be a better person.  Constant growth means that I need to feed that fire spiritual wood…so the flame stays bright. Sometimes I need to feed that spiritual fire even more….so the fire gets big enough to handle what lesson might be coming next. God has to teach me how to use the next gift of power he needs me to use in my next job for Him.


Father…thank you for the reminder that tough love is not just for me to use on those around me...it is for my own person evaluation of how well I am doing as your child.  Forgive me for the times that I have missed the opportunity to grow because I put off an exam.  Show me how to use Paul’s great advice to keep the fire of love inside my heart burning with passion and zeal…so others can see you through the flames. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment