Friday, August 7, 2015

Run God's Race To Win


1 Corinthians 9:22-23 -  When I am with those whose consciences bother them easily, I don’t act as though I know it all and don’t say they are foolish; the result is that they are willing to let me help them. Yes, whatever a person is like, I try to find common ground with him so that he will let me tell him about Christ and let Christ save him.  I do this to get the Gospel to them and also for the blessing I myself receive when I see them come to Christ.

 

One reason Paul was such a good preacher was his ability to be flexible with all kinds of people. He was given special discernment and insight with each group of people he encountered….helping him adjust his words and sermons to give them just what would feed their spirits the most. He tried to find common ground with them…so God could use him in any situation he encountered.

 

He went on to explain that his ability to do this came from careful training. He explained that doing your best sometimes involves denying self….and working hard to learn all we can about God. We cannot be inactive observers and sit in the bleachers…listening only from a pews on Sunday. Running just a few laps is not effective either. No race was ever won with a partial effort. Our best effort means that we become completely sold out to what God wants us to do and we do it with all our heart and soul and mind. We don’t stop till we cross the finish line.

 

I understand this concept all too well.  I am guilty of stopping in the middle of projects all the time.  Sometimes it is because I got too busy…other times because it was too hard….and still others because I was just too stubborn to finish it and wanted to do something that I wanted more. I needed the reminder that what God starts…I need to be more faithful to finish. He will give me everything that he gave Paul…if I am doing His will.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that the world contains all kinds of people…each one needing you just as much as the other.  Forgive me for the times that I have started something for you and stopped for all the wrong reasons.  Help me to be more faithful to the things that you have me do…so that more people can learn about your great love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment