Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Great Promise Of Everlasting Life


1 Corinthians 15:51-52 - But I am telling you this strange and wonderful secret: we shall not all die, but we shall all be given new bodies! It will all happen in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, when the last trumpet is blown. For there will be a trumpet blast from the sky, and all the Christians who have died will suddenly become alive, with new bodies that will never, never die; and then we who are still alive shall suddenly have new bodies too.

 

Paul spent a great deal of his letter to the Corinthians speaking to the great promise of life after death for all Christians. They needed this detailed explanation to counter the belief that only the soul continued any form of life after death.  The new converts needed to understand one of the great promises of God that came with their belief in Jesus Christ.

 

Jesus conquered death during the three days he spent in that tomb.  We can only conjecture about how it was done…but we can glory in the final result and know that we get to share the same glorified body someday. Some of us will…’fall asleep’ in Paul’s words…..to be awakened to a trumpet sound and rise to meet Him in the air. Then those that are still alive will be caught up in the air with them….all in a moment….as God allows Jesus to conquer evil as well.

 

I stayed up too late last night….and found myself reading this long chapter after 1 in the morning. I read all Paul’s descriptions that confirmed my own beliefs in hurried time.  But the words of promise at the end…. prickled up my skin in goosebumps and a huge smile took over my face that forced my soul to take great notice of these words. I am a child of the father…and I will share His Heaven someday.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you gave your son Jesus Christ to die on a cross for me…allowed Him to be buried in death for me…and raised Him up again victorious over death.  Thank you for the promise that gives me of a great life with you after my earthly time is over.  Forgive me for the times that I have taken the sacrifice of your son for granted.  Help me to use the power of this knowledge to give me courage…and boldness while I remain on this earth…knowing that this is not my permanent home.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment