Sunday, August 16, 2015

Forgiveness Brings Restoration


2 Corinthians 2:5-8 -  Remember that the man I wrote about, who caused all the trouble, has not caused sorrow to me as much as to all the rest of you—though I certainly have my share in it too. I don’t want to be harder on him than I should. He has been punished enough by your united disapproval.  Now it is time to forgive him and comfort him. Otherwise he may become so bitter and discouraged that he won’t be able to recover.  Please show him now that you still do love him very much.

 

Paul is speaking here of the power of forgiveness when a sinner has taken the steps to repent.  He tells the church to forgive and comfort so that God can begin to heal and restore the love that was lost in sin.  He says that loving the sinner helps to encourage them and give them a reason to continue to search for healing.

 

It reminds me of the saying…love the sinner…not the sin. It reminds me of the way Jesus modeled how to love past the sin…and grasp the hurting heart of someone that has been tricked by satan to stay chained to the sin that separates them for God.

 

Paul knew well the restorative power of forgiveness…he was a walking example of just how powerful love can be when we listen to God and repent of the sin in our lives. Paul was calling the Corinthian church to be Ananias….the man who was called of God to confront Paul after he was struck blind in Acts 9. God told Ananias to look past the fear he had of the man who killed Christians…and love him with a love that only God can give.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you call me to love past the sin in someone’s life.  Forgive me for the times that I have withheld your love…because of fear…bitterness…or anger.  Help me to be more like Ananias…and be your vessel of love and comfort and forgiveness to all that seek a new start in you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment