Tuesday, August 18, 2015

See The Unseen With Your Heart .... Not Your Eyes

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 -   Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Paul said that God in His mercy had given him a great work to do and he would never give up…then he spends the rest of the chapter trying to help the Corinthian church understand this deep commitment he had made to God. He called God’s power to shine in the darkness that surrounded his life a ‘precious treasure.’

Paul tells us that one of the reasons that God does not remove all the struggles from our pathway is so that we will always be reminded that the power and light He gives us are completely His….never our own. We might become perplexed…hunted down…knocked down…or pressed by all manner of troubles….but if we remain in God…the results will always be an increase of strength and power.

My Life Application Bible commentary made five clear points for why this is a good thing. It helps us to remember the great suffering of our Lord on the cross.  It helps to remind us that pride always weakens ones faith.  It helps us look beyond the brief life we have here on earth…and focus on the eternal promise God gives all believers. It proves our faith to others. It provides an opportunity for God to demonstrate His love and power to others. 

I needed the reminder this morning to fix my eyes on what is unseen…rather than the present circumstances around me. God placed me in a new season of life where I am clearly out of the routines of the past. It is a wonderful time of rest and leisure…while I search for the unseen reasons He sent me here. I am trying not to feel guilty about the resting…enjoying it immensely…but finding it very hard to believe that this is all He has for me to do. I know now this time is somehow preparing me for the unseen just around the corner.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you are the light of the world and have been from the beginning when you spoke light into existence. Thank you for never giving up on this world but making a way for the seen to become an even more glorious unseen. Forgive me for the times that I have taken the light you have provided for granted…and let selfishness and worry dim the light that you meant for me to shine to others.  Help me to rest completely in your love and power like Paul…and learn to see the unseen with my heart instead of my eyes.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment