Saturday, August 15, 2015

Let God Build Empathy For Helping Others

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 -  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

Paul begins this letter to the Corinthian church with a great reminder that all God allows in their life has a great purpose.  He praises God for allowing things in his life that trouble him…because he realized that God was going to use the lesson he learned in his struggle to help someone else.

There is a great difference in sympathy and empathy.  We can feel sorrow for someone in a pain we have never experienced….but there is a great empathy created in our soul when God allows someone we know to experience the pain that he has already helped us to overcome.

It is one of the great promises that gives me hope and courage to keep going through my own hardships… for there is a great joy that comes from helping others through a situation that God has brought me through before them. The joy helps to combat the pain that never completely goes away….bringing even deeper comfort…and drawing you even closer to the source of all help and strength.


Father…thank you for the reminder and confirmation that everything I view as a hardship has purpose in helping someone else know you. Forgive me for the times that I have sat in selfish pity parties…knowing that I was becoming stagnant and useless to you as a disciple. Help me to see all hardships and trials as lesson in how to help others know you. Help me to praise you in my storms…and let them give me strength and courage to do more work for you.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment