Thursday, August 6, 2015

Being Responsible Means Not Demanding Our Own Way


1 Corinthians 8:10-11 -  You see, this is what may happen: Someone who thinks it is wrong to eat this food will see you eating at a temple restaurant, for you know there is no harm in it. Then he will become bold enough to do it too, although all the time he still feels it is wrong. So because you “know it is all right to do it,” you will be responsible for causing great spiritual damage to a brother with a tender conscience for whom Christ died.

 

The Corinthian church was smack in the middle of a culture that worshiped idols on a regular basis.  After the meat was offered to an idol …it was sold in the markets and restaurants that were close to the temples where these pagan rituals took place. Many of the converted Christians remembered the process of that idol worship…and related it to the sin they had been convicted of when they were saved. Eating any portion of that meat… brought guilt and shame to their heart.

 

Paul knew that watching a more mature Christian…one who never equated sin with eating a meat offered to a god that did not exist…would give these new Christians a false sense that they could eat it without guilt too.  But Paul knew that deep down the action would trigger guilt feelings that in the long run would damage their growth as a Christian.

 

Paul’s words remind me that to a Christian…freedom does not mean that anything goes.  We have been called to be responsible for the growth of others. It speaks to why we need to be very careful where and when we partake of anything that others might deem wrong because of their personal convictions in Christ. I can’t have the mindset that because I found a scripture that washed away any guilt I feel in doing a certain activity that I can do that in front of all others. God may not have shown that same insight to someone still struggling to grow and mature as a Christian. Watching me do something that they deemed sinful will hinder their growth and make them question the validity of their salvation experience. If what I do in front of others makes them question their conscience …it is wrong for me as well in that moment.

 

I admit that it is hard to always give in to another one’s way of thinking. But doing so shows the kind of humility that Christ showed when He gave up His own life to prove to the world that He could conquer death and be raised up to provide salvation for all people. Giving up something we enjoy because someone else will be strengthened by our sacrifice shows the greatest form of love….and models the father’s heart for them.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am called to be responsible with the wisdom and insights you have shown me in the Bible.  Forgive me for the time that I have used a scripture to justify doing something that may have caused a Christian brother or sister to question and weaken their faith. Help me to always consider others before myself when choosing the things that I partake of and in…whether it be food….drink…or recreational activities. Help me to be responsible with the truths you have revealed to me in front of all others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment