Friday, August 21, 2015

Confrontation ....A Reason To Cause Deep Reflection

2 Corinthians 7:1 -  Having such great promises as these, dear friends, let us turn away from everything wrong, whether of body or spirit, and purify ourselves, living in the wholesome fear of God, giving ourselves to him alone.

Paul longed to be with these Corinth Christians and praise them in person for the way they handled a problem that could have destroyed the faith of the whole church. His words are deeply personal and remind them that all confrontation should cause us to reflect personally on the right or wrong of what we are doing.

Confrontation has a way of causing us to go on the defensive….finding ways in our heart to support the actions that brought the words of conflict.  We build an argument that justifies our behavior in our mind…even thinking of scripture that may support what we have done that others are questioning. The only problem with that is it only looks at one side of the issue.

Paul is telling us to make sure that the confrontation brings about a total reflection of the right or wrong. In seeking God’s viewpoint on the issue…we must compile a list of scripture that might support both sides…..then ask God to reveal the weaker side…the side that might be tricking us into sin. 2 Timothy 3:16 says …. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.”


Father….thank you for the reminder that your word is comprehensive…and has all the answers I need to live a pure holy life…. if I always let you help me focus on the part that will help me identify sin in my life.  Forgive me for the times that I have used your word in a one sided fashion….finding scripture that supports my choice…instead of letting it lead me to a conviction of my sin. Help me to always look at the full picture of my actions….seeking your guidance from a thorough search of everything you left in your word to help me make the right decision. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment