Saturday, August 8, 2015

Practice Humility In All You Do


1 Corinthians 10:31-33 -  Well, I’ll tell you why. It is because you must do everything for the glory of God, even your eating and drinking.  So don’t be a stumbling block to anyone, whether they are Jews or Gentiles or Christians. That is the plan I follow, too. I try to please everyone in everything I do, not doing what I like or what is best for me but what is best for them, so that they may be saved.

 

Paul continues to explain why considering others over ourselves is God’s perfect way for Christians.  Paul was specifically addressing the controversy in Corinth of eating meat offered to idols in sacrifice...but the concept of putting others first makes sense in all things that we do.   The bottom line is that the humility we show in these acts glorifies God….but the greatest reason is that in doing so we might just help point a few more lost to salvation.

 

Practicing humility in all we do helps to develop the servant’s heart that Jesus modeled for us. This heart…the humble heart… listens better to God’s voice…sees more of what God sent us to do… and understands more of the reason God created the world in the first place.  This world was not created for man…but to glorify God.  He walked around in the dark nothingness and created a place that was exactly what He wanted. Man was created to care for it….and glorify God by His obedience.

 

I admit that it isn’t always easy to remember that all we do should glorify God.  We were created in His image…the problems on earth starting when man put his own wants and needs above God’s.  And since God created all of us with free will…we will forever and always have the ability to choose self over God at any time.  Paul was stressing the other choice we have…and how to let it dominate the life we live once we have accepted Christ into our heart. His gift of the Holy Spirit can help us always make the choice that will glorify God….the choice that puts self at the last of the line.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that all I do should glorify the one that created me. Forgive me for the times that I have put myself over all others choices.  Help me to strengthen my desire to glorify you by putting myself last. Teach me the kind of humility that sees God’s way first so I am less tempted to look for a way to please myself….and more people see you in my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment