Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Strive To Have Unconditional...Sacrificial Love... For All


1 Corinthians 13:4-7 -  Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. Love does not demand its own way. It is not irritable or touchy. It does not hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do it wrong.  It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever truth wins out.  If you love someone, you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him.

 

Paul spends some time in this chapter defining love and making sure the church knows its priority in our lives. Real love knows no boundaries….has no limits…and sacrifices all for others…just like Jesus did. Paul also says that love should be the basis for everything we do. It should be the result of letting God sharpen the reflection of our weak faith into perfect hope in Him. It is directed upward toward the father in service…not inward to care for our self.

 

I am always reminded just how weak I am when I read this chapter.  I have so much work to do in the area of learning and applying the love that God wants all of us to eventually possess for others. I have gotten really good at loving myself….and fairly good at loving my family and close friends.  I even make an effort to love strangers at times by donating a portion of my time to various ministries. But I have to admit that I needed the reminder to keep growing….not to become complacent with what I am…and let God continue to refine me into a less selfish person. I need to let go of a little more of the child in me…and let God transform it into a more mature Christian. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that the love you call me to is a pure …unselfish….sacrificial love. Forgive me for the times that I have let my own wants and needs dictate the love I share with others. Instill in me a passion to grow so full in your love that it spills out onto everything I do. Help me to grow up….and be a more mature Christian…able to sacrifice more of what I want for the things that you want.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment