Monday, August 31, 2015

Legalism Will Never Get You Closer To Christ

Galatians 4:15-17 -  Where is that happy spirit that we felt together then? For in those days I know you would gladly have taken out your own eyes and given them to replace mine if that would have helped me.  And now have I become your enemy because I tell you the truth?   Those false teachers who are so anxious to win your favor are not doing it for your good. What they are trying to do is to shut you off from me so that you will pay more attention to them.

Paul continues to try and explain the dangers of listening to false teachers…especially when they twist the truth to be the opposite of what God says in His word.  He reminisced about the time when their pure love for Christ created a sacrificial heart that let love fuel what it did every day.  He reminded them that the goal of these speakers was to separate them from God…so that they would be weakened in the faith that God had once built in their hearts.

Once again my Life Application Bible made four great points about the dangers of adhering to legalism… instead of allowing God’s grace and mercy to drive our every action.  Paul felt that they had lost some of their joy because they had listened to these false teachers…and were trying to make the law a part of how they were redeemed.

Someone bound to legalism uses guilt to power their decision to do right or wrong.  God’s word says that love should power these decisions.   Jesus chose to hang on that cross out of love for each of us.  He felt no guilt….it was pure obedience and a passion to follow God’s will and plan for His life. If guilt is powering our decision to help someone….we might be a little too connected to the law.

Someone bound to legalism is powered by a hatred of the inner self.  They take guilt to the next level….and forget completely the power of humility in a believer’s life. Following rules…and constantly knowing that you have broken them…repeatedly….lowers one’s self esteem.  Living in a truly humble state builds confidence in who God is leading us to be.

Someone bound to legalism is driven by performance…and forgets the importance of building a relationship with Christ. The strongest people of faith have deep relationships with God. They know and study His word…they pray without ceasing….they are driven by a knowledge of His will.  They have a passion to do what they are called to do. They know they don’t deserve or could ever do enough to buy God’s love. They do out of complete obedience.

Someone bound to legalism is always listing their short comings…instead of letting God build their confidence by feeling the strength in their progress. None of us will ever be able to accomplish a sin free life…we will mess up. God wants us to concentrate on how far He has brought us…so that we learn to depend more and more on His power. If we constantly berate ourselves for our mistakes…God never has a chance to build our strength to do what He called us to do.

I think of Moses…in that moment when he took his shoes off and began to get to know God on a personal level.  The law had not been given yet…it was just Moses…God…and a ton of excuses that prove to be examples of why God wants us to reject the notion that legalism will ever draw us closer to him. It was the choice to throw the rod down…and see what God could do with it…that gave Moses the confidence to move forward in God’s will and become one of the Bible’s greatest leaders…and prayer warriors…a most humble servant of God.

I am convicted…as I am most mornings of a lack of growth in my faith. I have failed each and every point God allowed me to see…and have a ton of studying…praying…and throwing the proverbial rod down to even come close to knowing what He plans to do with me. And the wonderful thing is…I get a do over….every day until I stop making excuses and learn to throw that rod down when God tells me too.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you have provided a way for me to have a personal relationship with you. Forgive me for the times that I have made it more about following rules…than listening to you tell me how to let go of the guilt….poor self-esteem…the need to work for work’s sake…and the feelings of failure that hold me back from knowing your will for my life.  Help me to internalize the need to draw closer to you as my savior…so you can build me up to be all that you created me to be.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment