Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Faith Should Express Itself Through Love And Service To Others

Galatians 5:13-16 -  For, dear brothers, you have been given freedom: not freedom to do wrong, but freedom to love and serve each other.  For the whole Law can be summed up in this one command: “Love others as you love yourself.”  But if instead of showing love among yourselves you are always critical and catty, watch out! Beware of ruining each other.  I advise you to obey only the Holy Spirit’s instructions. He will tell you where to go and what to do, and then you won’t always be doing the wrong things your evil nature wants you to.

Paul said true freedom was only available to those that believed on Christ. He called for the believer to rethink the definition of freedom ….and see it as a new power and strength…to see it in its purest form. Freedom to the Christian is not a license to do wrong…to do whatever we want.  Freedom to the Christian is a power to use the Holy Spirit to keep from allowing the flesh to win so many of our daily battles against sin.

One of the keys to unlocking the full power of freedom in our lives is service to others. Love…as Christ defined it….empowers us to lead unselfish lives.  It produces love…. joy… peace… patience…. kindness… goodness…. faithfulness… gentleness….. and self-control. Paul reminds us that any other character trait that manifests itself in our lives is an indication that we are not letting the Holy Spirit lead and guide us to crucify the flesh that battles against the freedom God wants all of us to have in our new life with Christ.

I didn’t copy verse 24… but it is key…so I will put it here…. “ Those who belong to Christ have nailed their natural evil desires to his cross and crucified them there.” It isn’t a physical process…it is an internal trust and acceptance of what the law identified in our life as wrong. Giving it to Christ means it does not have control of our mind and bodies any more.  If we continue to crucify those things daily…even moment by moment…the Holy Spirit fills the spot where sin used to reside with new love that expresses itself in sacrificial service to others. That’s how Jesus was able to always focus on others….to the point that He allowed His temporary physical body to be nailed to the cross for all sin.

I needed the reminder to read the list of things that I should see dominant in my life on a daily basis….and to keep nailing those desires I know are not in the list to Christ’s cross as soon as I realize they are not one of the tools God gave me to help Him.  If the end product of my actions do not reveal love…. joy… peace… patience…. kindness… goodness…. faithfulness… gentleness….. and self-control….then I need to figure out what else I need to nail to the cross.


Father…thank you for the reminder that faith in you should express itself through love… sacrifice…. and serving others. Forgive me for all the things I have allowed to build selfishness and pride that have weakened my ability to fully trust in you.  Help me to develop an ability to discern the Holy Spirit’s guidance…so that I may rid my mind and heart of the things that keep me from being the servant you need me to be.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment