Thursday, September 10, 2015

Are You Happy...Or Joyful?

Philippians 1:19-20 -  I am going to keep on being glad, for I know that as you pray for me, and as the Holy Spirit helps me, this is all going to turn out for my good.  For I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that will cause me to be ashamed of myself but that I will always be ready to speak out boldly for Christ while I am going through all these trials here, just as I have in the past; and that I will always be an honor to Christ, whether I live or whether I must die.

Paul sat day after day in house arrest…but his heart for Christ and the call to preach on his life never suffered from this confinement.  He saw everything that had happened to him as a way God had increased the amount of people that heard the gospel.  He had let the peace that passes understanding completely rule his heart…allowing him to see the goo in every bit of suffering he had endured to this point.

Paul was so ready to meet Christ in Heaven….death to him was a great vison of joy. He would finally be face to face with the savior he had passionately told about to others. But life was also a joy...because he channeled that peace that God gave him to see the positive in all things. He knew in his heart that Christ was not through with him on earth…and was ready to work for Him as long as God willed.

Paul’s confidence came from the fact that he understood the difference in happiness and joy. Paul did not put his trust and confidence in the world….the temporary things like cars….houses….clothes….or cruises to exotic places.  Paul found joy in Christ…so much so that he was able to let his suffering actually build his faith…helping take his eyes even more off earthly things…giving us a great model for how to live our own lives today. 

As usual…I needed the reminder to let the peace that God gave me grow stronger instead of lose energy because I let life trick me into fueling negative thoughts. I need to be more like Paul…ready to do anything…even if it causes me earthly pain or suffering.  I need to remember that the Holy Spirit and the prayers of others can help me run the race with confidence and power like Paul did.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to let your spirit and strength give me confidence to always be positive. Forgive me for the times that I let worldly things….sickness…or memories of what I lost keep me from experiencing the full joy that you offer.  Help me to put off the things that bind me and put on the confidence that will give me joy…instead of just temporary happiness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment