Friday, September 11, 2015

Do Everything....Without Arguing And Complaining

Philippians 2:3-4 and 14  -  Don’t be selfish; don’t live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself.  Don’t just think about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and in what they are doing.
 In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing 

Paul uses clear and direct words here to emphasize how important it is to not only take on the servant role that Christ modeled for us…but to also do it with cheerful hearts that are content in our purpose. Selfishness and arrogance will keep others from seeing the true light of God that he placed inside us. Complaining and arguing cultivate negativity…negativity cultivates doubt….doubt cultivates hesitation....hesitation can slow a Christian to a complete stop quickly.

The reason we become a servant is not to bring attention to ourselves…to make us look good.  The reason we become a servant is to allow the light God placed inside us to show to those that don’t know him yet. If we really get it….our lives become less important…and helping others becomes the catalyst that strengthens our relationship with God.

Paul made sure that he reminded us that a true servant does his work without complaining or arguing. These two things tear down quickly the love that God planted in anyone’s heart. People don’t see Christ…they see a person who wants their own way….they focus on the argument….instead of the love that powered that choice.

I admit very quickly that Paul’s advice is very hard to follow.  I myself have been guilty more times than I can count on my fingers and toes...times 70. I needed the reminder that thinking of others first….and finding ways to help them serves to get the focus back on God where it belongs.  Paul wrote earlier in Galatians 5:13 … “For, dear brothers, you have been given freedom: not freedom to do wrong, but freedom to love and serve each other.”


Father…thank you for the reminder that loving others is way more important than loving myself.  Forgive me for the times that I let life cultivate negativity….doubt….and hesitation…..keeping me from drawing as close to you as possible.  Help me to learn how Paul stayed so confident in his purpose….so I can do all things through you…and not argue or complain about my task.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment