Sunday, September 27, 2015

God's Definition Of Beauty

1 Timothy 2:8-11 -  So I want men everywhere to pray with holy hands lifted up to God, free from sin and anger and resentment.  And the women should be the same way, quiet and sensible in manner and clothing. Christian women should be noticed for being kind and good, not for the way they fix their hair or because of their jewels or fancy clothes.  Women should listen and learn quietly and humbly.

Paul continually reminds us that our focus is to be on God…not the world.  That means that if our focus is truly on God…then our focus is also off ourselves. The message here is simple….pray… and have a quiet sensible personality that focuses more on the inner being that drives our servant heart…than the outside of the temporary vessel God put us in to help him complete his plan for the world.

There are over 100 verses in the Bible that warn us of the difficulties vanity piles onto a pure heart.  But the marketing world spends billions a year on ads that make a woman feel like they should spend many hours of time and product enhancing the simple structure God created us with.  Some religions ban such products completely from their member’s lives…others go overboard with the “look your best” comments trying to convince that even jeans are unacceptable in a worship venue. The result of both teachings turns more people away from God than toward his love.

Paul is talking here about the need to be content in who we are….all of the paleness without makeup…the scraggly hair without a speck of product….or the t-shirt and jeans versions most would find you in if you did not have to go out of your homes during the day. I am guilty….as usual...of thinking I have to put on makeup….have just the right cut for my face shape…and the newest outfit from the fashion store…. but God cares nothing about any of that. 1 Samuel 16:7 says it best for me.  … “But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by a man’s face or height, for this is not the one. I don’t make decisions the way you do! Men judge by outward appearance, but I look at a man’s thoughts and intentions.”

I remember a discussion with my sister one Thanksgiving. She wisely reminded me when I tried to give her a picture of me that had been made after painstakingly being dolled up by professionals…which I was so proud of because it…was the best picture of me I had ever owned…that the woman in that photo wasn’t really her sister. She knew the real me….and knew that on a daily basis I did not look that glamourous….not even close. I was not hurt at all by her comment…but reminded gently that the real me had way more to do with my heart that the way my outside looked.


Father…thank you for reminder that my focus should be on making my heart as kind and gentle as I can.  Forgive me for the times that I have let the world trick me into thinking that I am better when made up to look more glamourous… or dressed more in the current fashion. Help me to always remember that you care more about my heart than my looks…so I can be more content with who I am and ignore the world’s standard of beauty.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment