Tuesday, September 15, 2015

What Kind Of Roots Are You Growing?

Colossians 2:6-7 -  And now, just as you trusted Christ to save you, trust him, too, for each day’s problems; live in vital union with him.  Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him. See that you go on growing in the Lord, and become strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with joy and thanksgiving for all he has done.

Paul paints a beautiful picture of how we can grow in Christ by using the image of a grand tree that has deep roots. He tells us to live one day at a time…connected completely to God by the roots we grow deep into his being. Those roots will soak up nourishment from prayer….from Bible study….and from fellowship and worship with other Christians.

The strength we gather from these practices will produce joy that will overflow into everything we do. We learn to thank God for everything…even when we don’t see the benefit right away. We learn to thank God for what he has done more than we ask for his help with what we see as problems. We become so entangled in Christ with the many roots we grow that our faith cannot be destroyed or compromised.

I needed the reminder to grow deeper roots. …and take each day’s problems as they come. This time of year I am particularly bad to let my alone time be wasted in meaningless activities to keep my mind off anniversary dates and funeral memories. I need to ‘struggle’ in prayer a bit more as Paul did…and really use that alone time to grow roots that will help me find God’s will for my life in this season.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you need to be the soil that I plant every root of my being into. Forgive me for growing so many roots in meaningless and useless things that will never help me to see your complete plan for my life. Help me to trust you completely and cultivate the roots I have grown into you ….so that they will grow even deeper and nourish me completely. Prune the roots that remain connected to the world so that I can concentrate fully on serving you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment