Monday, September 7, 2015

Use The Holy Spirit To Throw Off The Things We Know Are Bad

Ephesians 4:20-24 -  But that isn’t the way Christ taught you!  If you have really heard his voice and learned from him the truths concerning himself,  then throw off your old evil nature—the old you that was a partner in your evil ways—rotten through and through, full of lust and sham.  Now your attitudes and thoughts must all be constantly changing for the better.  Yes, you must be a new and different person, holy and good. Clothe yourself with this new nature.

Paul spends this chapter reminding the church of how important it is to let God’s spirit transform our old sinful nature into a useable vessel of love…. humble service….and forgiveness. He says it won’t happen overnight…but is a daily process….God welding good from the bad we used to be one day at a time.  He says that God will transform us from the selfish children we were without Him…into creatures that recognize and listen to only the truth of God.

It can only be done with the help of the Holy Spirit….God working in our lives to remove the old lustful….selfish ….angry…bitter….negative thoughts from our hearts….so that He can replace them with honest….kind…helpful….tender hearts that long to forgive as Christ forgave us. It is a daily process….for God does not use a magic wand and magically transform us in a moment to this new creature. He uses the negative situations…all the bad we built around us….and shows how to overcome them with His love and truth….one thing at a time.

Paul says the start is to clothe ourselves with what is good….throwing off everything that God has already told us is bad for us.  That includes foul language….using only positive words to build people up. Anger that surfaces should be dealt with quickly…so it does not open a door for satan to tear down what God is doing in your life.  Honesty is a must…any lies we tell keep one of our feet blocking the door to sin that God is trying to close for good.

I admit that it is easier some days to be the child…and just ask forgiveness again for something I know I did that was wrong. But I will also testify of the great peace and strength that comes when you get one of those situations right. It is far more satisfying to hear God say…good job….than for God to say…that’s okay…we will try again.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I must make an active effort to throw off the things that I know are bad for me…and put on the new clothes that you provide to make me strong and holy in your sight. Forgive me for the many times I have lessened the strength you have to help me because I have kept one of my feet blocking the door that you were trying to close. Help me to use the Holy Spirit to help me identify the things that are still holding me back from a pure relationship with you…so I can claim its power to help me when I feel the weakest.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment