Friday, September 18, 2015

How Passionate Are You For God?

1 Thessalonians 1:4-6 -  We know that God has chosen you, dear brothers, much beloved of God.  For when we brought you the Good News, it was not just meaningless chatter to you; no, you listened with great interest. What we told you produced a powerful effect upon you, for the Holy Spirit gave you great and full assurance that what we said was true. And you know how our very lives were further proof to you of the truth of our message.  So you became our followers and the Lord’s; for you received our message with joy from the Holy Spirit in spite of the trials and sorrows it brought you.

Paul was so proud of these Christians at Thessalonica.  They had grasped the great power of God’s word from the very beginning and let it transform them into followers that proved their conversion was anything but truth. The power of the Holy Spirit made them strong…able to withstand the persecution of that day.

These Christians did not just read the scriptures….or go to church…or pray routine prayers.   These Christians made radical changes in their lives that gave them a deeper focus on God’s words….and the insight to understand them fully….so they could apply them immediately to the way they lived. It fact…it was this deep passion for Christianity that made their lives so very hard.

I can’t say that I have ever experienced persecution for my beliefs in God. God allowed me to be born in a nation where freedom of religion is practiced. Someone might make fun of my beliefs….or debate hotly the validity of my Bible….but I can still go to the church I choose to worship when I please.  I have no excuses for not being as passionate as these Thessalonica Christians were.

Passion is defined as a strong and barely controllable emotion. If my passion for Christ is really dominant in my life then everything I do will be based on whether it will lead others to Him….or deepen my understanding of Him. No more excuses that I don’t have the time….don’t understand how….don’t have that ability.  No more rationalizing the things in my life that I know deep down don’t belong.  No more justifying my actions based on what I think I want and need.


Father…thank you for the reminder that my passion needs to be you.  Forgive me for the times that I let my love for you become routine and casual. Light a new fire of passion inside my soul to make all my decisions based on what would lead more people to your love.  Help me to make the changes to my life that will deepen my understanding of your word and draw me closer to you.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment