Monday, September 21, 2015

Take Your Relationship With God To The Next Level

 1 Thessalonians 4:1-2  and 8-   Let me add this, dear brothers: You already know how to please God in your daily living, for you know the commands we gave you from the Lord Jesus himself. Now we beg you—yes, we demand of you in the name of the Lord Jesus—that you live more and more closely to that ideal.
 If anyone refuses to live by these rules, he is not disobeying the rules of men but of God who gives his Holy Spirit to you.

Paul reminded these Christians that they had already been taught how to please God.  Now he pleaded with them to take their relationship to the next level...by living even closer to the ideal that Christ set for us. He told them to be holy and pure…and remember that not trying our hardest to do this would be disobeying the Holy Spirit that God put inside of us.

It is the Christian’s basic responsibility to remember that we are accountable to God for all our actions.  Paul addresses sexual sin specifically in this chapter… but the concept of accountability is for all sin. We are reminded of our accountability to help teach us that it is not about being happy …but being holy.

We are accountable to warn unbelievers about living without Christ …  for every word that comes out of our mouth … for how we live… for those that God gives us to supervise…. for those that God calls us to teach ….and for rejecting the truth when it is revealed to us. That is a pretty comprehensive list.

I needed the reminder as usual that I need to step up my relationship with God by being more accountable to Him for my daily walk with Him.  I feel the most convicted to spend more time in prayer and taking a bigger part in warning unbelievers about their fate if they reject Christ. 


Father… thank you for the reminder that I am accountable to you for my growth as a Christian.  Forgive me for the times that I have been too content with staying where I am at…and not striving to grow closer to you. Help me to desire a deeper relationship with you…. one that will help me strive to be holy and pure.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment