Friday, September 25, 2015

Deliver Us From Evil

2 Thessalonians 3:2-3 -  Pray, too, that we will be saved out of the clutches of evil men, for not everyone loves the Lord.  But the Lord is faithful; he will make you strong and guard you from satanic attacks of every kind.

Paul ended his letter to these Thessalonica Christians with one last prayer. He asked for their prayers to spread the gospel quickly so more and more people would come to know Christ.  Then he added a request to pray that God protect him from the evil clutches of all men who fought daily this testimony.

Evil has become such a normal part of the world we live in…we would all do well to pray that God protect any Christian from the clutches of this evil.  Satan is real…his power is real….and it grows in strength every day that Christ chooses to let him reign temporarily here on earth. It is a serious threat that we need to take more seriously.

But those of us that know Christ need not fear satan and his followers…even though they are many.  Paul tells us our protection from him is only a request away. The psalmist gave us the directive long ago in the 23rd psalm when he wrote…. “I will fear no evil…for God is with me.”   And Jesus himself included the words… “deliver us from evil,” in the model of prayer He gave us in Matthew 6.

I needed the reminder to remember to add this request to all my prayers. I take for granted the sweet peace I feel around me most days. There are many Christians around the world that battle satan’s forces every day. They need all the strength and protection they can get…and I shudder to think of the time when I will need it myself.


Father...thank you for the reminder to call on you for protection and strength to fight the evil you have allowed temporarily to reign on the earth. Forgive me for the times that I have taken for granted the peace that seems to be in my corner of the world.  Help me to remember to pray for other’s protection and strength against the dark forces that cause so much pain and suffering in the world.  Ready me for any battles that I might face in the future…so that I can stand strong and firm against any evil that satan throws my way.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment