Saturday, September 19, 2015

How Many Trophies Will You Have?

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 -   For what is it we live for, that gives us hope and joy and is our proud reward and crown? It is you! Yes, you will bring us much joy as we stand together before our Lord Jesus Christ when he comes back again.  For you are our trophy and joy.

Paul was one of the most effective preachers of all time. He saw his life as one continuing journey to the Gentiles who had never heard God’s message.  He saw each conversion that resulted from his preaching as a great victory for the kingdom…a trophy…a joy.

Paul was unafraid of prison…sincere….and gave a clear consistent message. He was honest and straightforward…yet gentle with his words. He lived what he preached every day…bearing persecution in faith.  He understood the enemy….satan….and trusted God in each situation that God allowed satan to temporarily control.

I couldn’t help but be convicted of my lack of soul winning.  I have always felt that I was a seed planter…and justified the small number of trophies I would have as God’s plan.  But reading this ….perhaps I justified a bit too much…and need to take on more of Paul’s zeal for saving the lost.

The great commission from Matthew 28 doesn’t say go plant seeds….it says go make disciples.  Matthew 9 speaks of the need to send out laborers to the great harvest that is ripe and ready.  Acts 1:8 tells us that He gave us the Holy Spirit to make up for any shortcomings we have in our earthly bodies.  Romans 10 reminds us that if we don’t…many will die without a chance to know God.  And finally…read  Philemon 6… “And I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ.”  That tells me that my growth will never be complete till I learn to share my faith with others.


Father…thank you for the reminder that soul winning is not just for preachers or television evangelists. Forgive me for the time that I have thought that planting seeds was enough of a labor for your kingdom.  Help me to be more like Paul…and use my testimony to show the world that you are the only way to salvation and life….earnestly praying for all to be converted to belief in your son’s gift of love on the cross.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment