Monday, September 14, 2015

Comprehensive Prayers...Even For Those We Don't Know

Colossians 1:9-12 - So ever since we first heard about you we have kept on praying and asking God to help you understand what he wants you to do; asking him to make you wise about spiritual things;  and asking that the way you live will always please the Lord and honor him, so that you will always be doing good, kind things for others, while all the time you are learning to know God better and better. We are praying, too, that you will be filled with his mighty, glorious strength so that you can keep going no matter what happens—always full of the joy of the Lord,  and always thankful to the Father who has made us fit to share all the wonderful things that belong to those who live in the Kingdom of light.

Paul amazes me with the number of letters he wrote while he was in prison. While confined to his home….probably chained to a roman soldier…he spent his time encouraging others and visiting with the ones he sent to check on them. This group of believers at Collosse was evangelized by Epaprus…one who Paul had preached to and immediately went to share what he had learned with his own community.  Paul realizes their need for continued support…especially since other false teachings were common in that area.

Paul had never met these people…yet he opened his heart in prayer for them to the father. He asked God to help them understand the scriptures….give them wisdom in spiritual things….and help them live pleasing lives to God. Then he added a request for God to teach them how to do kind things for others…know God at continuing deeper levels…and be filled with God’s strength. He finished his prayers for them by pleading to God for them to endure in the faith….stay full of Christ’s joy…and always be thankful no matter what happened in their life.

I admit that my prayers for friends are not so comprehensive. I lift up the requests that they make known to me….but hardly ever go beyond the obvious need that they presented to me for prayer. I need to internalize Paul’s 9 point prayer for all that I lift to God….so that he can do more than just answer one simple need. I need to realize that I can do this even for people I have never met.


Father…thank you for the reminder that my prayers need to be more comprehensive and in depth.  Forgive me for the times that I have lifted up quick prayers of need that stop with just the obvious needs. Help me to internalize Paul’s heart for prayer…and realize the great power of prayer to do more than what I ask. Give me a heart to pray for those that I don’t even know. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment