Thursday, August 20, 2015

How Big Is Your Heart?

2 Corinthians 6: 11-13 -  Oh, my dear Corinthian friends! I have told you all my feelings; I love you with all my heart.  Any coldness still between us is not because of any lack of love on my part but because your love is too small and does not reach out to me and draw me in.  I am talking to you now as if you truly were my very own children. Open your hearts to us! Return our love!

Many false teachers existed in the Greek area of the Corinthian church. They were so believable that many of the Corinth Christians had begun to doubt Paul and the message of salvation he preached. Paul poured out his heart to these people…in hopes that they would see that he was telling the truth…and let go of any partnerships with false teachers that were leading them away from God.

My head jumped immediately to a character in one of Dr. Seuss’ great books.  I could see the Grinch….stealing all the Christmas trimmings and believing all the time he was doing those Whoville residents a favor.  It wasn’t till he heard the passionate song from their huge hearts….singing praises for another Christmas…with no apparent worldly trappings…that he realized that Christmas wasn’t tied up in any traditional bow.  He realized that Christmas was a bigger present…contained inside the heart of those wo believed in it…allowing his heart to grow three sizes …make restitution….receive full forgiveness…and join in the celebration party they had after as the honored guest.

What a great reminder that we need to keep our own hearts from shrinking in size from all that the world hurls against it every day. It would be easier sometimes to let the anger and bitterness of our problems drive us to be hermits…steeping in our own loneliness or hate. Paul called us to be like those Whoville residents….to see beyond what the world  had to offer and see the truth of how God uses love…kindness….forgiveness…and the Holy Spirit’s power to help us live in the truth of what Christ did for us on that cross.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you want to give us the truth and tools to grow a heart a big as Jesus.  Forgive me for the times that I have let my heart shrink in size from bitterness and loneliness. Help me to open my heart to the tools and love that will help it grow big enough to be more like Paul…ready to go through anything if it meant one more person would come to know you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment