Thursday, November 5, 2015

Hurry That Day Along

2 Peter 3:11-13-  And so since everything around us is going to melt away, what holy, godly lives we should be living!  You should look forward to that day and hurry it along—the day when God will set the heavens on fire, and the heavenly bodies will melt and disappear in flames. But we are looking forward to God’s promise of new heavens and a new earth afterwards, where there will be only goodness.

Peter ends his letter to the church with a reminder that our home is not of this world. We should be looking forward to the day that God calls us home to live with him….while living the best life for him we can while we are still here. The troubles and sorrows we face here will disappear as we cross the threshold into God’s glorious kingdom of goodness.

It will come….like a thief in the night….so we need to be prepared at all times.  He says to use our time here to spread the word of his coming to others…and try to grow as much as we can spiritually between now and then….letting peace rule our decisions each day.

It is one of the easiest trips I have ever prepared for when you think about it.  I don’t have to pack a bag…arrange for the mail to be stopped…..or have someone check on the house.  I won’t be coming back to any of that. I prepare for this trip by letting God control more and more of my heart each day….his will directing me to more and more people that need to hear how God can change their life too.

I am guilty of taking my ticket to Heaven for granted….and not trying to grow spiritually each day. Peter says the way to do that is to let peace rule my decisions each day…and spread his love as much as I can to the people God allows to cross my path each day. Each time I share God with others I will grow as a result.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to prepare my heart each day for the ultimate trip to Heaven that you promised to all believers. Forgive me for taking my ticket for granted so many times and not allowing you to help me grow each day.  Show me how to share your love more freely with those that cross my path.  Help me see all the ways I can grow closer to you each day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment