Saturday, November 7, 2015

Love One Another....Even The Evilest Of Hearts

1 John 2:7-8 - Dear brothers, I am not writing out a new rule for you to obey, for it is an old one you have always had, right from the start. You have heard it all before. Yet it is always new, and works for you just as it did for Christ; and as we obey this commandment, to love one another, the darkness in our lives disappears and the new light of life in Christ shines in.

John affectionately refers to his readers as his children. He writes to them to plead with them to remember that loving others is the one way we can know that Christ is in total control of our lives.  He knew that love was and is the strongest weapon we have against the darkness of satan.

The love that Christ plants in our hearts goes beyond the worlds standards.  It is based on self-sacrifice….and ultimately leads to servanthood.  Christ’s love reaches beyond our friendships and reaches enemies and persecutors.

John also touches on the one thing that lessens our ability to love more than anything else….the emotion of hate. Any amount of hate will keep Christ’s love from growing to its fullest potential.  Hate plants seeds of lust…pride….and materialism that keep God’s sacrificial love from taking root as deep as it needs.

I admit that it is hard to stay completely void of any hate.  It goes against our inner being to love some of the people we read about in the paper…or hear about on the news each day.  But if God loves them then I must find a way to love them too. The Bible clearly states that I can’t be his child if I don’t.


Father…thank you for the reminder that I must use your love to love everyone around me. Forgive me for the times that I have picked who I wanted to love….and kept a bit of hate in my heart for some. Help me to clean out my heart of all hate…so you can replace it with love and light and truth. Show me how to love even the most evil of hearts so they too can someday come to know your light and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment