Sunday, November 8, 2015

Stop Saying IT And Do It

1 John 3:18-19 -   Little children, let us stop just saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions.  Then we will know for sure, by our actions, that we are on God’s side, and our consciences will be clear, even when we stand before the Lord.

John breaks the concept of love down to the key ingredient. If we truly love…then our words become the hands and feet of Jesus here on earth. If we fully embrace the meaning of love…..humility and sacrifice become the driving force behind loving others in everything we do.

He uses Cain as an example of what not to do. Cain gathered his leftovers in a basket and tried to pass them off as his best….then he got mad at his brother for doing it right. Jealously caused the first murder….and gave satan the foothold he needed to convince Cain he was doing the right thing.

I had to stop and think about it.  When was the last time I gave up something I really wanted in order to show love to someone else? I can gather up my leftovers all day long….when God has blessed me with an abundance.  But am I really showing sacrificial love to others….by giving when I am not sure I have enough for me?

John is teaching us that one way to get closer to God is to give sacrificially to others. We can justify all day long that we are doing enough…but John is saying that if we reach the point that we think that…we are missing the real lesson that enough is never enough.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you require us to give your love to others in a sacrificial way. Forgive me for the times that I have justified my giving as enough….and stopped just short of sacrificing what I wanted in my gift. Help me to think more like you…and think of ways to help others even before I help myself.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment