Friday, January 8, 2016

Everything Happens For The Good Of Those That Love The Lord

Genesis 33:11 and 16-17  -  Please accept the present that was brought to you, for God has been gracious to me and I have all I need.” And because Jacob insisted, Esau accepted it.
… So that day Esau started on his way back to Seir. Jacob, however, went to Sukkoth, where he built a place for himself and made shelters for his livestock. That is why the place is called Sukkoth.

Jacob could finally relax when Esau meets him with a warm embrace. He had forgiven his brother and did not even want to take the huge present of flocks that Jacob offered to him. But Jacob insisted… sharing the story of what had happened to him in Paddan Haram….and what he had learned about mercy.  They made plans to meet back in Seir …but Jacob never went there…he traveled west instead and bought land near Shechem to settle in.

It is a sad end to the story of these brothers to me. Esau did his part making an effort to forgive his brother…but they never took the next step to repair the damage that had been done.  It seems on the surface that it was easier for Jacob to go his own way….comfortable that his brother was not out to kill him anymore.  But perhaps it is a reminder to me that all the damage we do with the mistakes we make in relationships cannot be repaired completely.  I am simply not sure.

I am unsettled with this knowledge. God had told Jacob to go back to the land of his fathers and relatives. God promised to be with him. Did he still have a problem with faith? My usually method of research did not turn up a map that shows me just how far he settled away from his brother. Was Seir…where Esau settled…not in the land of his father either?  Did Jacob have other relatives toward Succoth?

I guess it goes to show that some answers are just not spelled out in detail in the Bible…and some days we just don’t get a definite answer or wisdom to act on. I welcome your comments on this piece…since I seem to have left so many questions unanswered. I will keep praying for understanding…because I know God will send it when he knows I need it.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you use everything that happens for the good of those that love You. Forgive me for the times that I let my mind get focused on trying to understand every single piece of the puzzle…and getting impatient when the pieces don’t fit exactly like I think they should.  Teach me how to keep praying for understanding and stand strong in faith till you work the puzzle completely.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these posts, I am inspired by your persistence. On this particular blog piece, I feel that Jacob didn't live close to Esau because perhaps he just couldn't handle being in that area. I can relate, because there are some things that still affect me when I go to visit home... I no longer live there. I haven't for 4 years, and I don't have plans on living in that area ever again. Only God knows my future. I feel that Jacob was led to Succoth because that's where he felt he could be relieved from any pain, or lingering memories. Who knows about his childhood with his mother. I like to think that he never had an issue with faith, but that the human in him was stronger than his will. Keep up with these posts, I enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete