Wednesday, January 27, 2016

It Might Be A Bad Idea

Exodus 2:13-14 - And when he went out the second day, behold, two Hebrew men were fighting, and he said to the one who did the wrong, “Why are you striking your companion?”  Then he said, “Who made you a prince and a judge over us? Do you intend to kill me as you killed the Egyptian?”  So Moses feared and said, “Surely this thing is known!” 

God had used the faith of a simple Hebrew family to save and raise his chosen servant Moses.  He was raised as a prince in the Pharaoh’s palace…but never forgot his roots.  One of his weaknesses was a great temper. He lost it so bad on one occasion that he killed an Egyptian taskmaster that was abusing one of his Hebrew brothers.

He thought no one had seen him.  He had looked around carefully before he acted so violently.  But there were eyes and ears he had not seen that spread the news quickly of what he had done.  And even though some may have thought it was a good thing…the two men he tried to counsel used his action against him. When the Pharaoh found out…Moses had to flee to Midian.

It is a reminder to me that what we do is watched carefully…especially if we proclaim to know and follow Christ. We are to be living examples of God’s love… what we do should reflect God at all times.  Yes…I agree that is a very hard calling.  Yes …I agree that it is wrong for others to throw our mistakes up in our faces.  Yes… I agree that God loves us no matter what.

The point isn’t how others don’t have the right to judge us.  The point is that God is our judge….and he sees everything we do. Wrong is wrong….and we will be judged for it when we stand in front of God in the end. Yes he will forgive us…but what if our wrong affects their chance to be saved….or causes a fellow Christian to stumble.   Mark 9:42 says… "If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea.”  That tells me ….If I have to look around to see who’s looking at me…then what I am about to do is probably a bad idea.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you see all that we do….and think in our heart.  Forgive me for all the impure thoughts that my flesh can bring into my mind.  Wash them from my heart as soon as they appear to tempt and weaken my faith.  Help me to pray each day for discernment and guidance for all that I do …think… and say. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment