Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Repentance...The Key To Obtaining Righteousness

Genesis 38: 24-26 -  About three months later Judah was told, “Your daughter-in-law Tamar is guilty of prostitution, and as a result she is now pregnant.” Judah said, “Bring her out and have her burned to death!”  As she was being brought out, she sent a message to her father-in-law. “I am pregnant by the man who owns these,” she said. And she added, “See if you recognize whose seal and cord and staff these are.” Judah recognized them and said, “She is more righteous than I, since I wouldn’t give her to my son Shelah.” And he did not sleep with her again.

The story of Joseph is interrupted for a quick side note about the continuation of the messianic line through Judah. The short version is that he allowed his flesh to get the best of him after his wife died and fell to temptation.  He did not realize he had actually slept with his daughter-in-law Tamar. She presented herself that way to trick him…for he had broken his promise to her to give her in marriage to his youngest son…as was the custom when brothers died and left a widow.

We could discuss the horror and dysfunction of this family.  Tamar’s first husband died because he was so wicked.  His brother died because he spilled his seed on the ground instead of allowing Tamar the child she deserved to carry on the family line. Tamar’s sin was great….tricking her father-in-law out of bitterness and spite to get what she wanted. Jacob was seeking comfort and release from prostitutes.  They were definitely no model of how to live a righteous life.

But my spirit felt a twinge of that good old grace and mercy that only God can give when Judah poured out his confession and released Tamar from the death he had requested. God even used this family in their repented state to carry on the line of David that would eventually produce our savior Jesus Christ through her son Perez.

I loved this quote from gotquestions.org.  It said…. “God’s purposes are accomplished despite our unrighteousness.” Just read the 11th chapter of Hebrews and you will see example after example of sinners that God convicted and turned faithful.

It is a great reminder to me to not point fingers at the sin I see in others.  Someone once said…that when I do that there are 4 other fingers pointing at myself. Jesus was the only one who had a right to throw any stones…and he chose to drop his in favor of mercy and grace.


Father…thank you for your perfect son who died on a cross to give me salvation…the gift of mercy…and the grace that allows me to ask forgiveness for my sins. Forgive me for the times that I have forgotten how you forgave me…and judged others.  Help me to always see that others sin in no different than mine.  Help me to always see sin as Judah did and confess it as soon as you bring it to conviction. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment