Thursday, January 21, 2016

God Can Calm Every Fear

Genesis 46:1-4 - So Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.  Then God spoke to Israel in the visions of the night, and said, “Jacob, Jacob!”  And he said, “Here I am.   So He said, “I am God, the God of your father; do not fear to go down to Egypt, for I will make of you a great nation there.  I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also surely bring you up again; and Joseph will put his hand on your eyes.”

Jacob started out on his trip…but when he reached Beersheba he was moved to stop and offer sacrifices to God. As he slept that night…God appeared to him in a vision and told him to put away all the doubts and fears he had in his heart. God told him it was good for him to go…and that Joseph would be the one to close his eyes at his last breath.

I have found myself in Jacob’s fear filled shoes many times.  And even though God hasn’t always appeared in a vision and called my name…he has given me the same sweet peace and calmed each and every fear.  All it takes is a move to place them at Jesus feet…a time of prayer and surrender that we offer our fears to him. 

I am glad that Jesus made it easier to approach and worship him.  We no longer have to offer sacrifices the way Jacob did. We only have to whisper his name in prayer and offer up our concerns. He speaks to us though his word…through our Christian friends and family…and sometimes still through visions  and prophecies. 


Father…thank you for the reminder that you are always there to calm and give us peace for anything that threatens our heart in fear.  Forgive me for the times that I have let fear grip my heart too strongly… letting the fear numb me and delay my turning them over to you. Help me to always think ahead like Jacob…and offer up my fears to you in prayer and worship…so you can give me your peace that passes all understanding. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment