Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Let God Lift Your Countenance

Genesis 45:26-28 -   And they told him, saying, “Joseph is still alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt.” And Jacob’s heart stood still, because he did not believe them.  But when they told him all the words which Joseph had said to them, and when he saw the carts which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived.  Then Israel said, “It is enough. Joseph my son is still alive. I will go and see him before I die.”

Jacob had lived many years thinking his son Joseph was dead. It seemed so surreal to him to even entertain the thought that he could be alive…yet alone governor of things in Egypt. He had resigned himself to the worst…even adding to his sadness the possibility of losing Simon and Benjamin as well. It took the sight of the Egyptian carts filled with provisions and gifts to convince Jacob that their words were true. His spirit revived….his heart felt peace…he was ready to go and see him before he died.  

Anyone who has lost loved ones understands the deep sorrow of Jacob.  It is easy to let the sorrow in your heart take over your countenance.  You enter a world of existence where the pity party rules…you feel entitled to play the bereavement card as much as you can. Jacob had reached that point... his spirit to live had disappeared. He even doubted the words of the brothers could possibly be true. But the carts Joseph sent were Jacob’s turning point.  He believed…and even found purpose in the thought of seeing his son Joseph one last time before he died.

I admit that I am like Jacob…I need the visual to really believe that something is real. Like Thomas…I need God to give me something I can touch and see to help me believe that what he has asked me to do is real before I find the courage and strength to do it.  I watch for the pieces of the puzzle to start fitting together to confirm the mission he sent me to do.

His turn around is a reminder to me to not let discouragement win the battle when it comes to doing what God has sent me to do. So many times those puzzle pieces take way longer than I think they should to fit together. I am so thankful that God sends a cart of provisions for me … to help sustain me while I wait on his timing.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you have all I need to sustain me.  I CAN do all things through Christ …who STRENGTHENS me. Forgive me for the times that I have let discouragement win the daily…and even longer battles.  Help me to listen and watch for the carts of provisions you send to lift my countenance back to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment