Saturday, January 16, 2016

Wait On God's Timing...AND...Think Of Others More Highly Than You Do Yourself

Genesis 40:14 and 23
But when all goes well with you, remember me and show me kindness; mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison.
....The chief cupbearer, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him.

Joseph found favor everywhere he was placed. Even in prison the commander believed in his innocence and integrity. He placed him charge of other prisoners....including a baker and cupbearer who had dreamed disturbing dreams and had become discouraged for lack of an interpretation.

Joseph was concerned about their countenance when he saw them that morning. And when he found out the reason for their sadness...he made sure that these men knew where his information came from ....and then interpreted their dreams.

Joseph was so like me when he asked the cupbearer to remember him when he was restored. Even though he was respected and elevated to a prison guard...he still had an internal struggle with himself about why he was there in the first place.
The cupbearer was so like me too. He got caught up in the excitement of being released and forgot all about Joseph's request.

Joseph offers me a reminder that God's timing is not always what we think it should be. God needed him in prison for a bit longer....or God was waiting for the opportunity arise for Joseph to impress the Pharaoh with God's power to interpret dreams.

The cupbearer reminds me not to be selfish...and always pay forward the kind acts of others towards us. Amos 6:6 offers a rebuke of this cupbearer who was a bit selfish in his celebration..."You drink wine by the bowlful and use the finest lotions, but you do not grieve over the ruin of Joseph. I do believe that even if the cupbearer had remembered Joseph that very day...God would have delayed his release until he could use him to show God's power to the king. I also believe that we are not to use that as an excuse.

Father...thank you for the reminder that I need to wait on your timing...and think of others more highly than I do myself. Forgive me for the times that I have acted out of frustration or selfishness. Help me to trust in you completely. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment