Saturday, January 16, 2016

Watch And Listen For God's Reminders To Stay Humble

Genesis 41:8-9 - In the morning his mind was troubled, so he sent for all the magicians and wise men of Egypt. Pharaoh told them his dreams, but no one could interpret them for him. Then the chief cupbearer said to Pharaoh, “Today I am reminded of my shortcomings.

The exact time came when God had ordained for Joseph to interpret the Pharaoh’s dream…and use the wisdom God had given him to suggest to him the best solution to the 7 years of famine that would surely come. The powerful leader wasted no time elevating Joseph to a leadership position so he could begin to implement the wise plan God had given him.

The words of the cupbearer played strongly in my heart. He felt convicted of the times he had fallen short of his potential…and God used one of those memories….of his days in prison… to bring about his plan to not just release Joseph from prison…but elevate Joseph to a great position to model God’s power even more.

I can’t recall a time in my life when God has not used my shortcomings to remind me of his power to overcome the mistakes that I seem to make when I let my heart and brain go into autopilot mode. Just this week he reminded me of the importance of the exact words we use when describing things. Sitting in the hospital visiting with dad and two of my sisters…my autopilot spewed out that I had ‘made’ mom go home to eat and rest. God quickly used my sweet sisters to remind me that I had done nothing…that mom hadn’t chosen to do on her own.

It is a reminder to me to try and let God keep my heart and mind off of autopilot to prevent such prideful remarks.  I never want God to stop ‘reminding me of my shortcomings.’ I am so thankful that he uses these kind of moments to humble me from becoming too proud and selfish.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you need to be a part of everything we think…say and do.  Forgive me for the times that I have let myself go into autopilot mode.  Help me to always be watching and listening for the reminders you send me when I need to focus more on you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment