Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Wait On God's Timing And Plan

Genesis 30:22-24 -  Then God remembered Rachel; he listened to her and enabled her to conceive. She became pregnant and gave birth to a son and said, “God has taken away my disgrace.”  She named him Joseph, and said, “May the Lord add to me another son.”

Jacob had many children.  His first wife Leah bore him his first four.  Then Rachel became jealous of her sister’s fertile womb and gave Jacob her handmaid…so she had two sons by her handmaid.  Not to be outdone…Leah gave her handmaid to Jacob as well and she had two more sons…plus a daughter. Then God finally opened Rachel’s womb and she had Joseph.

Children were everything in this culture.  Rachel was loved by Jacob but felt incomplete when she was barren.  Leah felt unloved but found purpose and love through her children. Rachel never understood why God allowed her sister to conceive instead of her…turning their relationship into a contest of who could give Jacob more children.

It is a reminder to me to wait on God’s timing and plan.  It isn’t easy…it takes a disciplined mind and heart to trust that God promise in Jeremiah 29:11 will indeed manifest itself…especially when God allows time to prolong the promise. God had heard Rachel’s plea for children all along. He gave her this desire of her heart when he knew it would be best.


Father…thank you for the reminder to wait on you. Forgive me for the times that I jump ahead of your plan and become impatient waiting.  Help me to see the value in trusting you completely with the timing of all you allow in my life.  Show me how to wait on you and be content and happy while I am waiting. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment