Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Repentance...A Powerful Tool To Make Us Strong And Courageous

Genesis 44:32-34 -  Your servant guaranteed the boy’s safety to my father. I said, ‘If I do not bring him back to you, I will bear the blame before you, my father, all my life!’ “Now then, please let your servant remain here as my lord’s slave in place of the boy, and let the boy return with his brothers. How can I go back to my father if the boy is not with me? No! Do not let me see the misery that would come on my father.”

Joseph had placed his silver cup in the mouth of Benjamin’s sack as another test of his brother’s change of heart. Judah... who had taken a stand for Joseph’s life in the beginning…takes a stand for Benjamin’s now. He stood true to his vow to his father and requested to take Benjamins place.

This moment of surrender and substitution marks the point in these brother’s lives when Joseph stops testing their motives. They could have all run back home and left Benjamin to the mercies of Joseph…but they did not.  They tore their clothes and returned with him…and Judah steps up as the leader he always was….and offers to take his younger brother’s life.

Repentance is a powerful force that gives us new courage to do things we never imagined having the strength to do. It gave Judah the courage and strength he needed to step out in faith and fulfill the vow he had made to his father.  Judah had no idea that it had all been a test…in his mind this was a forever statement…his life for his brother’s.

It is a reminder to me that daily confession of our sins helps to keep our faith strong and full. Sin of any kind begins to build up in our heart and turn it cold and unmerciful. This step in Judah’s life I am sure began to help him find the courage he would need later to confess the full story to his father.

Holding those sins inside builds wall between us and God. The more sin we try to hide…the stronger the wall is. It results in an inefficiency of all God has placed inside us to do the work he called us to do.  It delays the good that God is trying to accomplish through our lives.  


Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to confess my sins daily. Forgive me for the times that I have delayed the confession of any sin that I have realized might be separating me from your power and love. Instill in me a desire to always stand firm to the truth…even if I know the consequences will be hard to bear.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment