Monday, March 14, 2016

Blessed Are The Peacemakers....And The Merciful

Leviticus 6:2-4 -  “If a person sins and commits a trespass against the Lord by lying to his neighbor about what was delivered to him for safekeeping, or about a pledge, or about a robbery, or if he has extorted from his neighbor,  or if he has found what was lost and lies concerning it, and swears falsely—in any one of these things that a man may do in which he sins:  then it shall be, because he has sinned and is guilty, that he shall restore what he has stolen, or the thing which he has extorted, or what was delivered to him for safekeeping, or the lost thing which he found”

God gets really detailed about how to deal with trespasses. In all cases…they are to be restored…plus an extra amount on top of the restoration.  The restoration was for the person that suffered because of the trespass.  The guilty still had to make atonement for his sin with an offering to God as well.

I sat a while this morning…thinking about what that meant for me…and eventually God put in my spirit a step six…of the Eight principles… of the Celebrate recovery program I work with. It says.  Evaluate all my relationships.  Offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me and make amends for harm I done to others, except when to do so would harm them or others.

This principle is based on Matthew 5:7 and 9 from the beatitudes.  The Bible says… “Blessed are the merciful” ….and “Blessed are the peacemakers.” Mercy and peace…two things we need to thrive in a world that has crazy surprises to keep us down every day. We sure don’t need any extra weight on our shoulders...the more we can tap into God’s power to give us peace through forgiveness and making amends…the lighter our heart becomes as we deal with all the people around us.

Most trespasses are hidden from our heart.  We forget that we ever did anything to hurt anyone. I for one get a lesson most weeks from people around me. Most seem to have forgiven when they recall the time that I messed up and did something to cause them hurt… but that doesn’t stop my heart from feeling bad that I never made amends for it. I have to let God help me stay in the humble lane… so he can help me think of ways to try and make it right.


Father…thank you for the reminder that trespasses cause hurt o those around me and keep me from being an effective witness.  Forgive me for the times that I have trespassed against anyone…knowing or unknowing.  Help me to listen to you tell me how to make amends for any of these times my mind and heart have hidden from my brain. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment