Thursday, March 31, 2016

Strive To Be Holy

Leviticus 21:21 - 23 - No man of the descendants of Aaron the priest, who has a defect, shall come near to offer the offerings made by fire to the Lord. He has a defect; he shall not come near to offer the bread of his God.  He may eat the bread of his God, both the most holy and the holy;  only he shall not go near the veil or approach the altar, because he has a defect, lest he profane My sanctuaries; for I the Lord sanctify them.’”

In Moses day…the priest who came into the Holy of Holies had to be without blemish…just like the sacrifices he offered on God’s altar.  His body was considered holy…sanctified...anointed before God to do his work. The one chosen to minister behind the veil was the most blameless…perfect man they had to offer.  They knew they had chosen well…because the priest sent in returned alive.

This is one statute of God that changed when God tore the veil that protected his holy place.  He opened up a way when Jesus paid for all sin for anyone to approach him and be his child.  God can take the most deformed….imperfect man…and give him the hope of eternal life. God takes our imperfect bodies and lives and breathes his life and love into them….making us all priests able to share the faith …power ….and love of Jesus Christ…who became our high priest when he died for our sins.

I needed the reminder that God wants me to strive to be holy.  I can still profane his name… when I fail to be obedient to his will.  I need to remember to follow the advice found in 1 Peter 1:13-16 …which says… “Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,  because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”


Father...thank you for the reminder to strive to be holy before you. Forgive me for the many times I fail you…and let the former lusts of my life take root for a time.  Help me to do daily weeding and pruning of all that you have taught me…so that I can keep these lusts under control with your power and love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment