Friday, March 25, 2016

Interrupted Routines...God is Still There

Leviticus 16:8-10 - Then Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats: one lot for the Lord and the other lot for the scapegoat.   And Aaron shall bring the goat on which the Lord’s lot fell, and offer it as a sin offering. But the goat on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat shall be presented alive before the Lord, to make atonement upon it, and to let it go as the scapegoat into the wilderness.

God reminded Moses that the Holy Place was a very special place.  It was shielded from the rest of the tabernacle by a veil that stretched from floor to ceiling. Only the priest could go in at special times to offer fire before the Lord….any other time is was not allowed and would bring sudden death…just as the two sons of Aaron found out.

One of these special times was the yearly sacrifices of atonement for the people of Israel.  Two goats were brought to the tabernacle… one was offered up as a sacrifice to God… but the other…by casting of lots…was set loose as a scapegoat. Someone was chosen each year to take the goat out of the camp and set it loose in the wilderness.

It been one of those special days when by my own disorganization skills I did not allow enough time to visit with God this morning and write.  Perhaps it was God’s plan all along to make sure I wrote at night for this scripture. I was busy most of the day…helping my mom and dad with a trip to the doctors… and visiting with family from out of town.  I managed to deliver some goodies to our local hospital as a mission effort for my Sunday School class….and even had time to shop a bit for some things to make another project for a retreat coming up.

As darkness is upon me…the clouds covering the light from the moon…I am reminded that it is the anniversary of the Friday when Jesus would have struggled to walk the long road to Golgotha.  His day was busy too. Waking to beatings and mocking …faltering from the weight of that heavy cross…enduring the horrid pain of those nails in his hands and feet…and dying so that he could become the scapegoat for all to be given life for eternity.  His walk toward that role of scapegoat was not assigned by lot…but requested of him by his father. His wilderness was to experience the disconnect with God just long enough to make atonement for all of our sins…and allow God the pleasure of tearing that veil from top to bottom …giving all of access to God 24/7.

The difference in his day and mine…I am sure that he did not stop visiting with his father every minute of the day.  I got a lesson from my mom ..as she whispered several times a verbal request for travel mercies… and a thank you for good reports from the doctor to God. A tear filled prayer of thanks as most of our family gathered around the dinner table …so grateful to be enjoying it with the company of dad…at home….and gaining strength every day.

Perhaps the lesson is that shouldn’t beat myself up if my routine is interrupted.  Even days when our normal way of visiting with God is changed…he finds other ways to connect with us and remind us that he is here.  I am thankful that I can connect with him…anytime I want too…and I know that God will use every opportunity to connect with me if I forget to do it first.


Father...thank you for the reminder that you allowed your son to be the last scapegoat ever needed to atone for sin. Forgive me for the times that I let life and busy schedules put my thoughts of you on pause.  Help me to be so in tune with you…that even in my craziness I see and hear the whispers you send to remind me that you are still here.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment