Monday, March 28, 2016

The Strongest Weapon Against Defilement

Leviticus 18:24-26 -  ‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you.  For the land is defiled; therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it, and the land vomits out its inhabitants.  You shall therefore keep My statutes and My judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations, either any of your own nation or any stranger who dwells among you.

God gave Moses a warning about following any of the routines and customs of where they came from…Egypt….and where they were going to…Canaan. The peoples in these lands worshiped many gods… and participated in many customs that God considered abominations.  Being intimate with a relative…sacrificing your children … intimate relationships with the same sex…. and bestiality…were just a few that he described in detail.

When you read the list…and compare it to the daily news…it is clear that our nation has become just as defiled as the nations the children of Israel were warned about. I shudder to think of the judgment that God must be planning for those who have not kept these statutes as he said…for all eternity. I also struggle daily with how to best love on these people so they can know the truth…so it can set them free. I know in my heart that continuing to love on all people…no matter what they believe or practice…is the best way to show them the truth of God’s love.

I Corinthians 13:4-6 says … Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  If I ponder the fullest meaning of these verses…. I can’t help but believe that the love Jesus showed mankind when he sacrificed himself…will eventually cleanse even the most defiled of nations. And I must do my part to love on everyone that he allows me to come into contact with….no matter what. 


Father…thank you for the reminder that your love is the strongest weapon I have against any form of evil.  Forgive me for the unbelief I have shown at times… that has kept me from showing the love you gave me to others. Help me to understand and apply the love you have shown to me to all that I come into contact with….so they will see you in everything I do and say. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment