Saturday, March 19, 2016

No Excuses...Obedience Is Key

Leviticus 10:1-3 - Then Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer and put fire in it, put incense on it, and offered profane fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them.  So fire went out from the Lord and devoured them, and they died before the Lord. And Moses said to Aaron, “This is what the Lord spoke, saying: ‘By those who come near Me I must be regarded as holy; And before all the people I must be glorified.’” So Aaron held his peace.

They had just finished their time of consecration to the Lord. These two sons of Aaron made a huge mistake that cost them their very life. All we know is that they did not follow God’s commands… somehow letting their own thoughts dictate how to use one of the holy instruments that God had given them to use in worship.

The commentaries I read gave lots of theories… perhaps they were drunk…perhaps they thought it was what they were supposed to do…or perhaps they thought their consecration gave them the right. For whatever reason…God let them know very quickly they had violated his instructions…and the same fire that had come to consume the offerings and show His pleasure…came and consumed these two men who had not glorified God with their actions to show His judgment.

It is a huge reminder for me that God’s way is the only way. Any time I deviate from his will…I am taking a huge risk in my life. If I allow my own emotions to rule what I do…I do not always glorify God with my actions.  Only when I come in complete obedience to his word and will do I glorify God. David Guzik’s commentary put it this way.  “We are able to come as we are – but in the way God prescribed.

Obedience is not always the easy path.  Hebrews 5:8 reminds that even Christ learned true obedience through suffering.  It says… “though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.” Even Jesus reminded the crowd in Matthew 19:24 … “And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

I admit quickly that I needed this reminder today. This post is a day late.  I woke up and hit the dismiss button instead of the snooze button…and found myself struggling to get to the sub position I had committed to on time.  I had plenty of time last night to write when I got home…but chose to veg out on the couch …first taking a long nap…then watching TV.  I was feeling guilty all along…but now I feel the need to ask God to strengthen me and help me be more committed to my promise to put his word first.  I used to be excited about waking early enough to meet with God and write…and nothing seemed to stop me from opening that Bible to read at night before I closed my eyes. Excuses are coming way too easy these days.


Father…Thank you for the reminder that nothing is more important in my life than my time with you. Forgive me for allowing the craziness of life…and the simplicity of retirement to lull me into a routine that even thinks of making excuses to you.  Help me to be more obedient by rekindling the passion to draw nearer to you through your word and mediation through writing.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment