Tuesday, March 1, 2016

How Bright Does Your Face Shine?

Exodus 34:8-9 -  So Moses made haste and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshiped. Then he said, “If now I have found grace in Your sight, O Lord, let my Lord, I pray, go among us, even though we are a stiff-necked people; and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us as Your inheritance.”

Moses had spent the last few days…perhaps months… modeling for this fallen people how to find God again. The people watched the cloud of God descend every time he entered the make-shift meeting place.  They stood in worshipful attitudes of awe while he remained in the tent talking with God. They had no clue what they talked about…they were just glad that Moses seemed to still have a connection with God.

And it payed off.  Moses persistence inclined God to give them a second chance.  He called Moses back up the mountain with two new tablets to re-record the first conversation they had. He spent another 40 days and nights with God…the intensity of his visit showing in his glowing face when he returned.

Moses prayer is a model of what true repentance and humility sound like to God. He admitted his unworthiness…asking for grace in God’s sight.  Then he requested once more that God attend this people…even with the faults that made them sinners. He asked forgiveness…and pardon from the only one he knew could forgive.  Moses knew that he had no chance to succeed if God were not a part of it…so he just kept going back to meet with him…and plead…and admit the guilt of what they had done.

What a great reminder that what God really wants is a heart that realizes the reality of our mortality.  I had no chance….whatsoever…if God had not chosen to restore me and pardon me from my sin. I was bound to die for my iniquities. I am worth nothing without the love he shed on the cross to save me. My task is to chase after God …admit my sin…repent and ask for him to build me back up in his power and strength.

Perhaps that is what shone on Moses face when he came back down that mountain.  The love that God had used to forgive and pardon thousands of his chosen people was concentrated in the one man's face that went to bat for them with God. He couldn't help but emanate the very love that God had used to pardon and forgive the people God had chosen him to lead.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you long for my heart to be completely repentant and humble. Forgive me for the times that I fail you…because my flesh refuses to acknowledge its real value…. without you. Show me how to pursue you like Moses…. always admitted my guilt and unworthiness… always allowing you to wash me clean once again …using your forgiveness to power me to love you all the more.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment