Monday, February 29, 2016

Don't Just Watch God Pass By...Chase After Him

Exodus 33:14   and 17-18 - And He said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
 So the Lord said to Moses, “I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name.”  And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.”

Moses had been transformed.  He had met with God face to face.  He could not imagine going any further with the people god had chosen him to lead with god’s very presence going with them. Moses alone saw hope to restore the broken relationship that sin had caused between God and the people he loved so much. So Moses took action…he set up his tent far from camp and met with God there.

Joshua was the first to follow Moses example…then others who watched the pillar of cloud cover the tent while God was there…and began to seek him too.  It wasn’t enough for some to watch from a distance and worship from the tent doors anymore. They began to go to the tent to seek god too.

Here’s the thing that really convicts me this morning. The peace and rest that Moses got with His meetings was not enough for him.  He could not imagine life without the God who had called him to lead this “stiff-necked” people.  The rest and peace that God gave Moses created a hunger and thirst for something more… a glimpse at God’s full glory.

I was sitting in the chair by my window while I was reading my Bible this morning…and as I read… the sun came full strength through the panes. I could feel the sweet warmth… and closed my eyes to let it wash over me.  I turned my face full into the heat…but if I had opened my eyes…I would have damaged them. I knew the sun was still there…by the intensity of the heat on my face.  I knew when it had passed on…when the heat went away.

It is a reminder to me to have the attitude of Moses.  If I know something is broken…I need to actively seek ways to repair it. I have to keep asking God…keep seeking him no matter what.  I might have to follow him sometimes with my eyes closed….but the warmth he emits will lead me everywhere he goes…if I seek it.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you are the constant in life.  You don’t stay in one place…you pass by us on your way to complete the bigger picture that will bring your son to his full glory someday.  Forgive me for the times that I have let you pass by without continuing to chase you.  Help me to do whatever it takes to bring restoration when my relationship with you is broken.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment