Sunday, February 7, 2016

We Are Light And Salt

Exodus 12:37-39 -   Then the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides children. A mixed multitude went up with them also, and flocks and herds—a great deal of livestock.   And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they had brought out of Egypt; for it was not leavened, because they were driven out of Egypt and could not wait, nor had they prepared provisions for themselves.

It happened exactly as God had said…and they traveled in a caravan of walkers…some on horseback and camel. Others may have ridden in carts pulled by ox or donkey. The Bible lists the number at 600,000 men…but that would only be the men 20 or older that were healthy enough to fight if they needed to go to war. Never before and never again would there be recorded such a trip in history.

Theologians have theorized about a full number of this…mixed multitude of exiles that included children…women….and elderly not able to care for themselves.  The ‘mixed’ reference helps us understand that many actual Egyptians may have left Egypt with them.  God had convinced many of them that they needed to forget all the other Gods in their life and worship him alone.  Perhaps the full number was in the millions. God had blessed these people…under the duress of captivity from a mere 70…to more than 2 million people.

I have meditated more than the usual hour in the morning on this one.  I had time to write this morning…but felt after picking my scripture ….I needed…no God needed me to chew on this one a bit more.  The lesson in Sunday school was from Matthew 5… how we are the salt of the earth…and how we need to let our light shine. These Hebrews sure knew how to do that.  They lived a life so trusting in God that even in the worst of conditions they flourished and multiplied. They were examples for the people around them and convinced many of them to change the religion they had used all their life.

That’s what is about folks.  We have to figure out how God can use us to season the part of the world we live in with his love. We have to find the best venue to show the world we live in God’s light of truth and love.  Combine that with the second of two walking miracles that attended Sunday school for the first time since cancer stole their energy….and you see the double whammy that faith plus a few signs and wonders can accomplish in convincing any non-believer to reconsider their belief in God.  


Father…thank you for the reminder that if I allow you to keep my faith strong….and let you use me to model your love….you can use me to speak truth in those that still do not believe in you.  Forgive me for the times that I have let the turmoil around me weaken my faith and let others see things that are not of you.  Help me to always keep my mind focused on you so you can whisper to me the best way to shine the light that you put inside me when you saved me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment