Thursday, February 4, 2016

God's Merciful Covering

Exodus 10:21-23 -  Then the Lord said to Moses, “Stretch out your hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, darkness which may even be felt.”  So Moses stretched out his hand toward heaven, and there was thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days. They did not see one another; nor did anyone rise from his place for three days. But all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings.

God continues to send Moses to Pharaoh to tell him to let his people go. He even let Moses know in advance that this was not the end of the plagues that he would send to show his power to Pharaoh and the Israelites. Each time…whether it be flies….or frogs…or locusts….or lice…or darkness…none of the Israelites were affected. They enjoyed the covering of God upon their homes and family and flocks.

With all they had been through…the harshness of their captivity…this protection from the madness of the many plagues around them must have been a great comfort and sign of God’s love for them. God built their courage and faith as he delivered his judgement to the people who had held them captive.  Each time they saw the people of Egypt suffer…and realized that God had spared them…their hearts grew a bit stronger and deeper in love with God.

Moses and the Israelites were experiencing the covering of God in a real and tangible way. They saw and felt the protection of God on them each time a new plague was sent to soften Pharaoh’s heart. There have been several times in my own life that I have seen and experienced God’s covering too. He continually takes care of every need I have ever had.

I can’t help but think of the high cost of that covering over my life. Romans 4:7 says … “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered.”  My sins…as well as the sins of every man were covered by the precious blood of Jesus Christ as he gave his life on that cross so many years ago.  I am covered because of the mercy of God to send his only son to save my life.


Father…thank you for the love you have for me.  Thank you for showing me mercy and allowing your only son to cover my sin with his precious perfect life.  Forgive for the times that I take that covering for granted.  Help me to keep my heart in a continual state of thankfulness for each blessing I receive because of your grace and covering of my sins. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment