Monday, February 15, 2016

Are You God's Greatest Treasure?

Exodus 19:3-5 -  And Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain, saying, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: ‘You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself.  Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 

The people had left Rephidim and traveled closer to the promised land of Canaan.  They stopped to camp near a mountain at the edge of the desert of Sinai. God called Moses up to the mountain and told him to prepare the people for a personal visit. He would appear in a cloud and speak so that they could hear his voice telling Moses what to do. God wanted them to understand that Moses had been chosen to lead them…and they had been chosen to follow God.  IF…they could follow his commands …they would become God’s greatest treasure.

Of course they failed…time and again. So God eventually sent his son to accomplish what no human could do.  Jesus was able to live that perfect will of God and complete God’s plan of salvation for all of us who falter with sin.  God was so intent on keeping his side of the bargain with his people that he kept redesigning his plan till it accomplished what he wanted.  Now all of us have the opportunity to become God’s greatest treasure…by simply believing in his son and giving our lives over to God’s will. 

My flesh wins time and time again…so I am so thankful that God allows for the repentance of sin in his plan for salvation.  I did not take the time to count the number of instances God has forgiven me …but I am sure it has surpassed the thousands. I needed the reminder today to let Jesus’ words of rebuke in Matthew 26:41 sink into my spirt.  He had been praying for the strength to go the final leg of his assignment for his father…and found the disciples sleeping instead of in prayer with him …and said… “Then He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “What! Could you not watch with Me one hour?   Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Our answer to anything hard …anything that tempts our flesh to give in and not follow what we know God would have us do is prayer.  Moses knew how to pray…he was good at it….but the people had to go through him.  They lost courage so many times because they did not have a direct connection with God. 

I am so thankful this morning that when Jesus came to complete his father’s plan of salvation that it gave all believers that direct connection to God.  The power of prayer was opened to all when that temple veil torn into.  It not only opened up prayer to all of us…but the right to be God’s greatest treasure as well. I can be God’s greatest treasure too…if I remember to call on him in prayer to keep any  thought of the flesh from manifesting in my life.



Father…thank you for the reminder that you want me to be your greatest treasure.  Forgive me for the times that I have let the flesh win out…and not come to you for strength and courage to say no to sin.  Help me to remember that prayer is my best defense against any weakness…and come to you daily with thankfulness and praise for all that you have given me so far in life.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment